s KC photothon.tif

Knights’ ‘Answer the Call’ raises $53k

Posted September 15, 2016 at 5:00 am

By Steve Peterson

St. Patrick’s Knights of Columbus of Akron members conducted the 36th annual Phonothon from Parish Hall Sept. 7 and raised more than $3,900.

Beneficiaries are Life Skills Training Center, which receives 90 percent, and the remaining 10 percent goes to the Iowa Special Olympics from this “Answer the Call” campaign.

The total after the phone calls was $3,920 but more donations were going to be collected.

KC’s chapters in Le Mars, Kingsley and Remsen also made phone calls last Wednesday as the event is a county-wide effort.

“I’ve enjoyed it. I’ve been part of it for 18 years

Read Full Story…


    Westerners show patriotism

    Many Akron-Westfield students dressed up in a USA theme for the Woodbury Central game Sept. 9 in Moville in honor of the 15th anniversary of 9/11. From left to right: Callie Henrich, Maddie Hemmrlick, Lexi Koele, Ellie Martinsen, Bailey Davis, Jessica Hansen and Brooke Koele.

    Miller engagement.tif

    Announce engagement

    Jack and Sherri Miller of Le Mars, Iowa, are pleased to announce the upcoming wedding of their daughter, Makayla Ann Miller, to Joshua Timothy Davidson of Orange City, Iowa.

    Parents of the groom are Laurie Ann Anderson and also Clark and Karen Davidson, all of Orange City.

    Joshua and Makayla will exchange vows Sept. 10, 2016, at Trinity Reformed Church in Orange City with a reception following at Terrace View Event Center

    Read Full Story…


    Annalise Kally Schoenfelder

    Dr. Allison and Nick Schoenfelder, of Akron, are proud to announce the arrival of a daughter, Annalise Kally Schoenfelder. Annalise was born July 6, 2016 at Mercy Medical Center in Sioux City. She weighed 7 pounds 14 ounces, and was 21 inches long.

    Big brothers Jack, Nathan, Kevin, and Ben welcomed her home.

    Grandparents are Ed and the late Kay Schoenfelder of Westfield, and John and Sally Hakes of Lake Geneva, Wis.


    Happy 90th Birthday!

    Please join us in celebrating Mildred VanDonge’s 90th Birthday

    Saturday, Sept. 10

    2-4 p.m.

    Wesley United

    Methodist Hall

    350 Main St.,



    Clementson family reunion

    The 2016 Clementson Family Reunion was held on Saturday, Aug. 6 at the St. Patrick’s Parish Hall in Akron. Posing for a Clementson family photo are (Front Row l-r:) Neva Gardner, Shirley Waag, Evonne Bancroft, Esther Haines, JoAnn Lappegard, (Second row l-r:) Clifford Haines, Will Bisenius, Melisa Bisenius, Marcus Bisenius, Radine Wassell, LeAnn Haslag, Shirley Porisch, Karl Porisch, Donna Anderson, (Third Row l-r:) Cheryl Burrell, Cristy Harkness, Lynette Kiger, Shelley Nelson, Tami Lappegard, Mike Lappegard, Carilee Andrews, Stephanie Schollerman, Jackson Anderson and (Back Row l-r:) James Kiger, Molly

    Read Full Story…

    Beckett and Titan Fickbohm.tif

    Beckett Lee & Titan Gray

    Collin and Angela Fickbohm of Elk Point, S.D., are proud to announce the birth of twin boys, born July 14, 2016. Beckett Lee was 4 pounds 11 ounces, and Titan Gray was 3 pounds 14 ounces.

    Grandparents are Dwight and Sherry Fickbohm of Alcester, S.D., and Steve and the late Cathy Swartos of Volga, S.D. Great-grandmothers are Wilda Abraham of Elk Point, and Irene Fickbohm of Beresford, S.D.


    Kots’ to celebrate 50 years

    Bud Kots and JoAnn Marshall were married August 12, 1966, in Canton, SD. A celebration Open House will be held in their honor Saturday, August 27, 3:30-6:30 p.m. at Akron Golf Club, 941 Country Club Dr., Akron.

    Hosts will be their children: Rebekah Haskins-Kots of Indian Trails, NC, Deborah (Kevin) McCaul of Moore, OK, Jeff Kots of Akron, Kathy Henderson of Rockford, IL, and Sheila (Steven) Hoffman of Westfield. The couple has 14 grandchildren 12 great-grandchildren with one on the

    Read Full Story…

    Voss 65th.tif

    Celebrates 65 years

    Varold and Lois Voss, of Akron, will be celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary on Aug. 22, 2016.

    Mr. and Mrs. Voss were married at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Preston Township on Aug. 22, 1951. They have two daughters, Diane (Larry) Moffatt and Carrie (Dan) Pfeil, both of Akron. Descendants include seven grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild.

    Cards and well wishes can be sent to Varold and Lois at P.O. Box

    Read Full Story…

    j Wesley UMC new paster Derrick Okine 07-2016.tif

    Wesley UMC receives new pastoral leadership

    By Julie Ann Madden

    With the retirement of Rev. Don Nelson from full-time pastoring, Wesley United Methodist Church in Akron has a new pastor.

    Pastor Derrick Okine began leading the congregation July 1.

    The Accra, Ghana, native completed high school in his African hometown, then attended the Methodist Theological Seminary in Seoul, Korea, finishing in February 2006.

    Read Full Story…