Akron-Westfield’s Large Group Speech team had a very successful day at the district contest, which was held Jan. 19 at the Sioux City East High School.
Seven of the 10 groups advanced to the state competition, which is Feb. 2 at the Le Mars Community School.
The most exciting element of the day was the number of A-W students getting to participate in the state contest. There are 49 students involved in the seven groups.
Many students will be participating in their first state speech competition, which is very exciting for them and their groups, said A-W Large Group Speech Coach Susan Anderson. And if you take into account the number of students that are “double entered,” in other words, they will be participating in two separate events at state, it is equal to 62 students competing at the state level for Akron-Westfield.
The Iowa High School Speech Association is the only non-classed activity in high school competitions, she said, explaining at both the district and state level, A-W students compete with all school districts in Iowa, not just those from the same class-sized schools.
“There is plenty of work to be done in the next two weeks to prepare for state competition,” said Anderson. “Best wishes for a successful state contest to these Akron-Westfield Speech students. Come support them at the Le Mars Community High School on Feb. 2.
District Contest Results
At District Contest there is only one judge except for the One Act Play, which has three judges.
The following is a list of Akron-Westfield’s Large Group Speech’s placings at District Contest:
• Choral Reading, “Siblings Something Special,” earned a Superior “I” rating. The members are Hunter Armstrong, Jacynda Banks, Tavian Banks, Katie Black, Alex Foley, Mariah Grimm, Lexi Hageman, Hannah Koele, Maggi Liebetrau, Robyn Peinke, Maddy Rife, Ryleigh Schnell, Sarah Schroeder, Kayla Tindall and Cali Westergard.
• Ensemble Acting: “If It Don’t Hurt, It Ain’t Love,” earned a Superior “I” rating. The group consists of Alex Franker, Eliza Kjar, Adam Kroksh and Kyle Schroeder.
• Ensemble Acting, “Crossways,” received a Superior “I” rating. The members are Maggi Liebetrau, Katlyn Mace, Emily Meerdink, Emily Miller, Maddy Rife and Sarah Schroeder.
• Ensemble Acting: “The Wall,” by Taron Banks and Spencer Frankl earned a Superior “I” rating.
• One Act Play: “Screenagers,” received a Superior “I” rating. The cast includes Hunter Armstrong, Jacynda Banks, Tavian Banks, Katie Black, Tanner Coyle, Alex Foley, Dominick Foley, Mariah Grimm, Dana Hedlund, Kortney Hedlund, Hannah Koele, Kali Kriener, Kellie O’Byrne, Desi Oltmanns, Robyn Peinke, Carla Robinson, Ryleigh Schnell, Jaclyn Smith, Kayla Tindall and Cali Westergard.
• Readers Theatre: “Carriers,” earned a Superior “I” rating. Members are Taron Banks, Corbin Bundy, Dominick Foley, Spencer Frankl, Alex Franker, Eliza Kjar, Adam Kroksh, Katlyn Mace, Emily Meerdink, Emily Miller, Carla Robinson, Kyle Schroeder and Jaclyn Smith.
• Group Mime: “Innocence Lost,” received an Excellent “II” rating. It was performed by Kristen Foley and Olivia Parks.
• Group Improv, consisting of Ryan Foley and Michael O’Byrne, received an Excellent “II” rating.
• Junior Varisty Readers Theater, “The End of Summer,” received a Superior “I” rating. The group consists of Tabitha Banks, Andy Bowman, Abbey Easton, Anastasia Hoffer, Zoe Mullinix and Spenser Wardrip.