by Steve Peterson
West Sioux Grades TK- students exhibited their artistic talents at the school’s first Art Show on Jan. 17.
“The idea started because I don’t have any artwork in my office. I could have asked my own children to do it but why not have the entire student body? The students made the projects all on their own time and without any parental help,” said West Sioux Elementary Principal Carrie Thonstad.
A total of 50 projects created by students from both Hawarden and Ireton buildings were submitted.
“That’s about 10 percent of our student enrollment,” said Thonstad.
The public who attended the night event helped vote on the winners. Principal’s Award choices were also handed out.
Thonstad said she hopes the Art Show is an annual event each Fall. Students receive art instruction for 30 minutes a week at the elementary building.
Winners of the Art Contest and Show included:
People’s Choice Awards
• “Handy Dandy Bot” by Ty Kaskie of Katie Pick’s class and
• “Legos in Action” by Darren Wilbert of Rachel Bonderson’s class.
Both students are second graders.
These art projects will be displayed in Thonstad’s office for the rest of the school year:
• “The Bell” by Dylan Wiggins of Megan Cross’s second grade class;
• “Sisters on a Sunny Day” by Alyssa Renken of Mollie Koopman’s fifth grade class;
• “Dance With Your Heart” by Keeley Wastell of Tiffany Millikan’s fifth grade class;
• “Color Me Happy” by Parker Kruid of Amy Huebner’s fourth grade class;
“Ireton Walking Trail” by Emma Van Wyhe, third grader in Sharilyn Buryanek’s class;
• “Animals” by Callie Hamilton, a first grader in Donna Jans’s class;
• “RAWR! My Pet Dinosaur” by Chase Minor, first grade, Jackie McManaman’s class; and
• “Spring is in the Horizon” by Emma Breugem, first grade, Kristine Marco’s class.