By Julie Ann Madden
Akron-Westfield students brought home four “Superior” ratings and three “Excellent” ratings from the State Large Group Speech Contest.
The Iowa High School Speech Association’s state Large Group Speech Contest was held Saturday, Feb. 3 at the Le Mars Community High School.
Of the seven A-W groups competing, the four receiving “Superior” ratings had straight “I” ratings, meaning that all three judges awarded them a Superior “I” rating.
“It was a very difficult day with some stiff competition with highs and lows,” said A-W Large Group Speech Coach Susan Anderson, “but the Speech team handled it all and just kept competing.”
“I am very proud of our students and their ability to hold their own against so many Class 4A schools,” she said.
Receiving “Superior” ratings were:
• Ensemble Acting: “If It Don’t Hurt, It Ain’t Love,” performed by Alex Franker, Eliza Kjar, Adam Kroksh and Kyle Schroeder.
• Varsity Readers Theatre: “Carriers” comprised of Taron Banks, Corbin Bundy, Dominick Foley, Alex Franker, Spencer Frankl, Eliza Kjar, Adam Kroksh, Katlyn Mace, Emily Meerdink, Emily Miller, Carla Robinson, Kyle Schroeder and Jaclyn Smith.
• One-Act Play: “Screenagers” performed by Hunter Armstrong, Jacynda Banks, Tavian Banks, Katie Black, Corbin Bundy, Tanner Coyle, Alex Foley, Dominick Foley, Kristen Foley, Mariah Grimm, Dana Hedlund, Kortney Hedlund, Hannah Koele, Kali Kriener, Kellie O’Byrne, Desi Oltmanns, Robyn Peinke, Carla Robinson, Ryleigh Schnell, Jaclyn Smith, Kayla Tindall, and Cali Westergard.
Junior Varsity Readers Theatre: “The End of Summer” performed by Tabitha Banks, Andy Bowman, Abbey Easton, Anastasia Hoffer, Zoe Mullinix and Spenser Wardrip.
Awarded “Excellent” ratings:
• Choral Reading: “Siblings: Something Special” comprised of Hunter Armstrong, Katie Black, Jacynda Banks, Tavian Banks, Alex Foley, Mariah Grimm, Lexi Hageman, Hannah Koele, Maggi Liebetrau, Robyn Peinke, Maddy Rife, Ryleigh Schnell, Sarah Schroeder, Kayla Tindall and Cali Westergard.
• Ensemble Acting: “The Wall” performed by Taron Banks and Spencer Frankl.
• Ensemble Acting: “Crossways” comprised of Maggi Liebetrau, Katlyn Mace, Emily Meerdink, Emily Miller, Maddy Rife and Sarah Schroeder.