By Julie Ann Madden
The Carroll Daily Times Herald was named the Iowa Newspaper Association’s 2013 “Newspaper of the Year” Friday, Feb. 8.
Presentations were also made to winners of the Iowa Newspaper Association’s 2013 Better Newspaper Contests, which were judged by the South Dakota Newspaper Association.
The Akron Hometowner received eight awards in the Weekly Newspapers Class 2: Circulation between 1,301 – 2,200:
• Best of Class Advertising, which is the top advertising award, was received by Graphic Designer Karen Taylor-Mortensen for a series of ads she created for the 2012 Akron City-Wide Rummage.
• General Excellence: a second place tie with The Valley News, Shenandoah, Iowa.
• Best Ad Series or Campaign Featuring Any Service or Merchandise Category, first place: Akron City Wide Rummage ad series created by Karen Taylor-Mortensen.
• Best Personality Feature Story, first place: “Akron girl to experience ‘Quinceanera’” story written by Julie Ann Madden.
• Best Newspaper Marketing, first place: “Where Do You Read Your Akron Hometowner?” ads, consisting of people submitting photos of where they read the Hometowner.
• Community Leadership, second place: Coverage of the Akron-Westfield Physical Plant & Equipment Levy information and election.
• Coverage of Education, second place: for education stories written by Julie Ann Madden and Steve Peterson.
• Best Use of Graphics, second place: for graphics used with stories.