Congratulations to the Akron-Westfield National History Day team which had an exceptional day at State Competition on Monday, May 6.
Advancing to national competition are:
1. “Trustbusters,” a Group Performance by Cameron Wahlberg, Daniel Martinsen, Skyler Briggs and Charlie Anderson.
2. “Sputnik I,” a Group Documentary by Eric Cottrell, Michael Ford and Nick Schnell.
3. “Battle of Antietam,” an Individual Performance by Makayla Swancutt.
4. “Chernobyl,” a Group Exhibit by Emmy Knuth, Rose Witt and Danika Smith
Receiving Alternate or Third Place Medals were:
1. “Deadly Glow – Radium” by Brynn Van Eldik, Jordan Neubrand, Kiana Appley, Cody HIllrichs and Max Anderson.
2. “Edna Griffin” by Laken Mullinix.
3. Work Progress Administration (WPA), a Documentary by Quentin Hoffer and Christian Wolthuizen.
Receiving Special Awards are:
History of the U.S. Government Award: “Trustbusters,” Group Performance by Cameron Wahlberg, Daniel Martinsen, Skyler Briggs and Charlie Anderson.
Iowa Commendation Award: Nash Lininger abd Dominic Trobaugh.
Iowa Outstanding History Award: “Edna Griffin,” an Individual Performance by Laken Mullinix.
Other state competitors
Brady Bergman and Courtney Waterbury represented A-W with a Group Website on “Samuel Colt” but didn’t advance to the nationals.