Hawarden Public Library’s Summer Reading Program is underway with the theme “Dig Into Reading.”
“Mr. Spoon”, aka Jim Cruise of Jenison, Mich. entertained a capacity audience of children and a few adults June 6.
“It started when I was 9 years old when I asked my parents for a drum set but they would not buy me one. The spoons are my drums,” said Cruise.
Cruise has turned that interest into a career that supports his wife and family of five children. He is very busy over the summer. He was also in this area at Orange City on June 7.
“I’ll start the program with a song from my grandfather’s era,” he said as “In the Groove” was about to start.
He enlisted the help of some audience members, including a “band” of Josie Wilbert, her grandmother Betty Gerritson and Brady Lynott.
Cruise encouraged youngsters to never do drugs; get an education by reading and doing their school work and to obey their parents.
Cruise has written a book, “Spoon Boy” and has done a DVD on his craft.
A portion of his income is donated to St. Luke’s Childhood Cancer facility in Memphis, Tenn. He shared with the audience that his daughter is now cured of a cancer.
Upcoming Hawarden Public Library events include:
• Wednesdays beginning June 12: Preschool Story Hour will be from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. each Wednesday during the month of June for stories, games, songs, crafts and more. Children must be at least three years old to participate.
• Thursday, June 13: Magician Rick Eugene will be at Hawarden Public Library for two programs.
First, Grades 3-5 children are invited to a magic lessons show from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Then a show from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. is for Grades K-5 students and their parents.
• Thursday, June 13: Library Board of Trustees will meet from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Hawarden Pizza Ranch to conduct library business. Meetings are open to the public.
• Beginning Friday, June 12, the library offers free movies at 1:00 p.m. each Friday at the library in June.
• Monday, June 17: Craft sessions:
For Kindergartners, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
For first graders, 1 – 2 p.m.
• Tuesday, June 18: Craft sessions:
For Grades 4-5, 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
• Grades 2-3, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Hawarden Area Arts Council provides assistance with these craft projects.
• Thursday, June 20: Lisa Laird and Pockets Full of Fun will return to Hawarden Public Library for a show from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., during the “Dig Into Reading” story times. The program is sponsored by Epsilon Eta Sorority.
• Monday, June 24: Blank Park Zoo of Des Moines will be the program at 12:30 p.m. for Grades K-5.
• Wednesday, June 26: Book Discussion Group meets from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. to talk about “The Year We Left Home” by Jean Thompson, an All Iowa Reads selection.
• Thursday, June 27: End of Summer Reading Party, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. This is for all children who met the summer reading requirements. Fun includes a movie, pizza and juice.
• Monday, July 1: 10:25 a.m. – 1:25 p.m., Bowling Party for Summer Readers at bowling alley.
For more information about Hawarden Public Library programs, call Hawarden Public Library, 551-2244.