The annual meeting of the Akron Opera House was held on Wednesday, Aug. 28.
Doug Olson and Dwain Wilmot were reelected and new members, Carla Vennard and Mark Philips were elected to serve on the Akron Opera House Board of Directors.
Members continuing to serve are Julie Breitbarth, Monte Erks, Ryan Schuknecht, Tim Blum, Val Philips and Karen Taylor-Mortensen.
Improvements to the building during the past year included stabilizing the brick on the front of the building, adding a stucco covering on the lower part of the east wall and the northeast corner all the way up to the roof, tuck-pointing the front and east sides of the building and some plaster repair along the roof line on the northwest corner of the building.
The entire project was paid by funds on hand in the Akron Opera House accounts and a LOST grant of $5,000 from the City of Akron, which helped to complete the payments.
The 2013-2014 theatre season has been set to include the following entertainment.
• Oct. 12: Improv Group of Wayne Blum and Friends, “Dinner For Two;”
• October 25, 26, November 1, 2 & 3: Fall comedy, “Rex’s Exes” directed by Tim Blum;
• Dec. 14: “The Brown’s Christmas Show;”
• January 24, 25, 26, 31, February 1 & 2: Winter comedy, “The Odd Couple” directed by Karen Taylor-Mortensen;
• Feb. 21 & 22: “We’ve Got Talent;”
• April 4, 5, 11, 12 & 13: Spring musical, “Little Shop of Horrors” directed by Wayne Blum; and
• May 3: The season finale “Oldies But Goodies” with Doc Walker and Friends.
Ticket prices for events have changed a bit, with Adults: $16; Seniors (65 plus): $13; Students: $8. You can save by purchasing one of the memberships.
Basic Membership: Six Ticket Package: Adults, $85 ($14 per ticket); and Seniors (65 plus), $75 ($12.50 per ticket). Use these tickets and share them however you want to for any show! Example: Use two tickets for three shows.
Sustaining Membership: Seven Show Ticket Package: Adults, $85 ($12 per ticket); Seniors (65 plus), $70 ($10 per ticket). This package is one ticket for each show, no sharing.
Benefactor: Anyone contributing between $200 and $500 would be listed in the programs as a “Benefactor” and will receive two full season memberships.
Sponsor: Anyone donating $501 or more will be listed in programs as a “Sponsor” and will receive two full season memberships and will have special recognition.