By Julie Ann Madden
Akron City Clerk Nicolle DeRocher presented her letter of resignation to councilors at their Dec. 10 meeting.
“It has truly been a pleasure to work for the City,” wrote DeRocher, “and I have thoroughly enjoyed my position here over the last three-and-a-half years.”
Her last day on the city’s payroll and benefit programs is Jan. 1 but DeRocher has volunteered to continue until a replacement is hired. Furthermore, she is willing to serve as a training consultant over the next year.
Councilor Denise Loutsch-Beitelspacher made the motion to accept her resignation and Councilor Barbara Johnson seconded it. The vote was unanimous with all councilors present.
Public Works Director Gary Horton suggested a committee be formed for the hiring process, and Councilors Bob Frerichs and Barbara Johnson volunteered.
Applications are being taken through Dec. 31.
In other business, the Council:
• Unanimously approved a resolution amending the Akron Urban Renewal Area to include Reed Street between Fourth and Eighth Streets. In addition, they unanimously approved a resolution regarding the financing of the city’s 2014 Street & Utility Project in this area. The project cost is estimated at $700,000.
• Unanimously approved the annual Urban Renewal Area Report, which documents the city’s Tax Incremental Financing (TIF) funds.
DeRocher noted the city had three TIF areas, two in Portlandville Heights, and one covering the downtown business district. The first two areas were combined into just one Portlandville Heights TIF District. Other changes reported included difference in internal loans, the cash balance and the Low-To-Moderate Income (LMI) funds which were used to help fund the New Akron Care Center Project.
• Unanimously approved purchasing a Christmas ad in The Akron Hometowner.
• Unanimously decided to enter into an agreement with Total Motors to sell the city’s Chevrolet Tahoe at an auto auction. The council’s consensus was to set a minimum bid reserve of $3,500.
• Tabled action on the city employees’ insurance renewal.
• Unanimously approved quarterly performance-related bonuses up to $500 to the part-time office assistant position, which is currently held by Kourtney Nicholson.